View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 the new guy 

Hello all,

My name is Jeff, and i'm glad to meet you all.

Not sure if i'm a maker or a menace; for example:

* Once as a teen, i bolted a lazy boy to a hay trailer and bolted that to a 3 wheeler.
* Only slightly more recently, i built a (vegetable) "oil cooled computer case".

Luckily, most of my shenanigans go unpublished. :mrgreen:

Recently i've been playing with a Pi... reading from sensors, controlling relays and all that. Mebbe looking at moving to arduino.

Always looking to learn more.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:56 am

Was the computer overclocked? If so, from what to what?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm

No overclocking... they were a p3-500 and a p3-600 (retired servers, 512M ram if i remember correctly) nestled opposite each other, daughter cards interleaved (for space), running windows/mame at a LAN party. Nobody believed that oil would conduct heat, but not electricity... one trip to Walmart later... it ran all weekend (3 days), it was a really interesting experiment.

polymorph wrote:
Was the computer overclocked? If so, from what to what?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:18 am

I know someone who did that with baby oil and put it in an aquarium. Loads of jokes from everyone who saw it about how many babies had to be squeezed to get that much oil.

He overclocked it quite a lot, I forget what it was rated for and what he had it at. It was kind of funny watching all the fans turning superslow in the oil, but even massively overclocked it didn't overheat. It ran for quite a while.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:30 am

The big advantage of an Arduino over a Raspberry Pi is that you can use the Arduino to develop your own projects that don't rely on someone else's production. An Arduino is really just a breakout board for an AVR microcontroller. You can buy the AVR for a couple of dollars and put it in your product without the Arduino. There is no such option for the Raspberry Pi.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]